Notes: June 2016 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Notes: June 2016 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Date: July 19, 2016 ● 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm

Location: DIR Conference Room # 4 (Congress)

Meeting Chair: Richard Wade, TWDB/TNRIS

Participants: Ed Kelly, DIR Co-chair; Monica Watt, CSEC; Raj Nadkarni, TCEQ; Kim Ludeke, TPWD; Michael Chamberlain, TXDOT; Scot Friedman, GLO; Alex Sanders, GLO; Jeff Perkins, GLO; Susan Seet, CSEC; Greg Smithhart, TCEQ; Felicia Retiz, TWDB; Gayla Mullins, TWDB; Rob Aanstoos, TWDB; Stephanie Long, TPWD; Vonda Payne, CSEC

Attendees (7/19/2016): Raj Nadkarni, Greg Smithhart, Kim Ludeke, Brooks Myers, Michael Kersey, Richard Wade, Felicia Retiz, Ed Kelly, Chris Bardash, Gayla Mullins, Scott Friedman, Richard Wade, Tere Shade, Stephanie Long, Vonda Payne

Next Meeting: 8/23/2016, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.

Welcome and Introductions

  • Welcomed all.
  • Review of other topics:
  • Prioritization for Google flight areas and frequency discussion.
  • Some areas did not get updated because of currency – Ex. Abilene.
  • Look at updates on a case by case basis rather than setting a blanket policy. If a high priority for major players then have a dialogue.
  • Conversely have locals pay in for their priority 1s.
  • Eventually, local and regional participants will contribute after the pilot Google Imagery program completes.
  • Texas Historical Commission has questions about GIS data storage.
  • Marketing Google Imagery: Eddie Block, DIR CISO, presents regional entities. Potential marketing opportunity.
  • Possible presentation at Texas GIS Forum.
  • Presentation (one pager to distribute) for TAASC.
  • In the event of money past the date might afford the opportunity to purchase historic Google imagery which allows us to stay within the framework of the existing charter. We stay conscious of our funds and if any left over, go back and purchase additional imagery.
  • LIDAR data could be an option for using left over dollars.
  • Lidar for Zika hot-spots e.g. tire piles.

Hybrid Cloud Services

  • Tere came in at 3:00 p.m
  • HSC will address and re-think some of the ways we do business while taking security and white glove services into consideration.
  • General comments from group: Could we have a brain storming session with DCS architects and security experts to brainstorm about a GIS infrastructure? More dialogue with security people.
  • Currently agencies can do AWS and Azure within DCS as a pilot. Offering begins on 9/1/2016.
  • Idea: Create a GIS VDC with permissions for all, possibly hosted by DCS.
  • Idea: Statewide data portal. Part of the recommendations to go to the Governor’s Office.
  • Tere began presentation at 3:45
  • HCS Slides posted to the GIS folder of the DCS Portal.
  • Integrated DCS private community cloud with public government cloud options in the consolidated data centers
  • Semi-managed & fully-managed service options
  • Automated cloud self-provisioning
  • Next generation tools & infrastructure automation improving service delivery and infrastructure availability
  • Agility, transparency, and control of customer IT infrastructure and financial spend
  • Financial restructure and vendor investment to achieve the above objectives
  • Pricing Objectives
    • Transparency
      • Enhanced ability to understand what you are paying for in DCS rates
      • Align pricing with “Market” prices
      • Separate “peanut butter” allocated charges (project pool, cross-functional (CSM/Acct Mgmt.), DR, Security, etc.)
    • Control
      • Enhanced ability to select “base” and “add-on” services, according to your business, financial, and regulatory requirements.
      • On premises (CDC) or public government cloud options
      • Fully managed vs semi managed support services
      • Full, Partial, Minimal, or No database support options
  • Cloud Connectivity
    • CDC to Public Cloud Vendor Direct Connection – Available by 9/1/2016
    • 3 circuits (2.5 – 10GB each)
    • Global DNS capabilities
    • Costs included in monthly Infrastructure Rate ($99.14/mth Intel, $199.90/mth Unix)
    • Public Cloud Vendor Egress Charges
    • Azure egress charges are entirely replaced by the direct connection circuits.
    • AWS egress charges significantly reduced by the direct connection circuits.
    • Anticipated rate reduction is in the 70% off market range
    • Virtual Data Center & Virtual Data Center Management
    • Router, Firewalls, Load Balancers provided by cloud vendor @ market rates based on customer needs. Representative configurations might look like:
    • Simple – 1 Router for Test/Standalone
    • Moderate - 1 Router, 1 Firewall, 1 Load balancer for Production/Internet DMZ w/simple load balancing & firewall zones
    • Complex - 1 Router, 2 Firewall, 2 Load balancer for Production/Internet DMZ w/multi load balancing & firewalls zones, redundant NW gear
    • Atos VDC management = $70/mth/cloud network device

Brainstorming Session: GIS SG Goals/Charter Language

Richard Wade introduced the topic. This is the meeting to discuss what this meeting is all about. Google Imagery project is running a pretty normal course with things that we can update via e-mail. Make beneficial use of people’s times. What is it that we want these meetings to do? Making this group a full on GIS SG for the state.

How do you want to see the structure of this group? Do we need more people, or less? Start to look at issues from the perspective of the state as a whole, rather than from individual agency perspectives. Also, consider meeting frequencies. Also dependent upon how much DCS funds can be spent for other areas related to GIS.

Discussion highlights:

  • Shared and centralized services without agencies re-creating in their own area.
  • Key question is the flexibility to decide how to spend funds
  • Trying to consolidate imagery and possibly share services – allowing to avoid individual agency solutioning versus shared resources
  • This group should discuss strategic direction as the State GIO report gets to be an official document.
  • Ideas about moving into the cloud for sharing information and data.
  • Identifying security requirements and concerns to determine how to remediate and overcome in order to facilitate the sharing of data.
  • Research the best data transfer systems for GIS and the State as a whole.
  • Figuring out the technology impact of what will be used to facilitate sharing of GIS data between agencies.
  • Facilitage cross topic contribution about security, records management, GIS, etc. – positive opportunity.
  • Richard Wade: meeting month after month to create a workable GIS infrastructure.
  • Settle on a standardized software.
  • Potentially a statewide ELA with Esri.
  • Verify that service providers have been vetted.
  • Richard Wade: Continue to meet monthly with an emphasis on building GIS infrastructure that will work for majority of state agencies.
  • Brooks re-capping: figure out the technology aspects that could be used for GIS sharing. Next meeting requirements. Or identify issues.
  • Richard Wade: We need to identify barriers or limitations that would need to be overcome within agencies at a state level to sharing GIS data.
  • Ed Kelly: Are we concerned about GIS resources for the future. Educating and getting more talent coming in. To make certain that agencies have the people and talents to do what they need to do. How do we get GIS professionals in the future.
  • Richard Wade: Next time a more unified agenda along the lines of the topics we have discussed.

Next Meeting • 8/23/2016, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.