Notes: August 2016 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Notes: August 2016 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Date: August 23, 2016 ● 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm

Location: DIR Conference Room # 4 (Congress)

Meeting Chair: Richard Wade, TWDB/TNRIS

Participants: Ed Kelly, DIR Co-chair; Monica Watt, CSEC; Raj Nadkarni, TCEQ; Kim Ludeke, TPWD; Stephanie Long, TPWD; Michael Chamberlain, TXDOT; Scot Friedman, GLO; Susan Seet, CSEC; Greg Smithhart, TCEQ; Felicia Retiz, TWDB; Gayla Mullins, TWDB; Rob Aanstoos, TWDB

Attendees (8/23/2016): Richard Wade, Ed Kelly, Monica Watt , Raj Nadkarni, Brooks Myers, Susan Seet, Gayla Mullins, , Michael Kersey, Stephanie Long, Greg Smithhart, Kim Ludeke, Scot Fiedman, Michael Chamberlain (conference bridge)

Next Meeting: 9/20/2016, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.

Welcome and Introductions

  • Welcomed all.

Google Imagery Priority Renewal AOIs

Gayla Mullins provided updates.

  • TNRIS has created a spreadsheet showing remainder of 2016 flights with a corresponding map.
  • Map represents most recent flights and what is estimated to be flown in 2016 and 2017.
  • Spreadsheet shows estimated and projected costs for future flights for remainder of 2016 and into 2017.
  • Previous flights flown, but not procured are still available for purchase.
  • City of Abilene purchased a flight.
  • TxDPS has funds available to procure additional flights before end of the current fiscal year.
  • Mike Chamberlain requested a copy of the map in order to review with agency priorities.
  • TNRIS will send out clean version of flight block index and imagery status map for feedback.
  • Estimated costs for bringing imagery current (not older than three years) for remainder of 2016 is $84,666. To maintain 3 year currency in 2017 estimated at $1.05 million. This estimate does not include draft priority one year refresh areas.
  • Pilot period ends August 31, 2017and DCS will begin billing for imagery services.
  • After further discussion and input from TxDOT and TCEQ, GIS SG decided to procure Lubbock. However, CSEC preferred Waxahachie because Lubbock is not in scope for CSEC. There are advantages to having Lubbock imagery in speaking with them about joining.
  • GIS SG eventually agreed that Lubbock imagery would be purchased.
  • TNRIS will continue work on an agency collective priority map to identify priority areas. This will help expedite the decision-making and purchasing process.

FY2017 Agency Goals

FY 2017 agency goals discussion highlights:

  • TNRIS will be working on parcel information a lesson learned from the state GIS report. They will be working on how to get and process parcel information. Currently each agency is collecting parcel work their own way – GLO, TPWD, TxDOT.
  • Possibility of having hosting parcel data and having private entities continue to update the information. Groups that are doing parcel work are doing it for their own benefit. Companies save the county’s effort, but it is not a core business. Preliminary indications are that they would rather have the information served to them. Currently all of the information appears to be public information.
  • TNRIS has put in a request for monies to fund more LIDAR . There is an understanding that it is important for flooding information. Goal is to get a statewide data set ($500k per year).
  • TCEQ hardware, centralized storage.
  • TxDOT: intersection inventory. Reside in grid system and have associated data with it.
  • Expanding “Austin Texas Floods” information on a broader statewide scale.
  • TxDOT: cemetery, print locations with polygon information. Testing for better data.
  • TxDOT: autonomous vehicles and there is a role for DoT to play in providing some sort of service like road closure or barrel information that could be helpful.
  • TPWD: New LIDAR for the coast. LIDAR would help with veg map. State maps would be helpful.
  • CSEC: existing location in to federal FDGS, standard civic location. CSEC looking to convert data for standard format.
  • CSEC: wireless phase three. Need Lidar in order to map building Z coordinates in FY18. What we need is an outline of all of the buildings to be able to track where a call is coming from - which floor. Opportunities to cost share.
  • CSEC: licensing for economies of scale. Online licensing for editing directly on line.
  • GLO: internal goals. Updating viewers. Oil spill tool kit. And Parcel, species data and wet lands.
  • Cloud deployment: some plans to move storage to cloud.
  • TxDOT: GRID application is in the cloud and work group servers are moved. Trying to get space because getting LIDAR and imagery. We have turned it over to IT department.
  • Agencies reporting problems with deploying to cloud due to lack of understanding, fear, uncertainty and doubt. Opportunities for more education and information.
  • Ed Kelly invited people to send known objections to the cloud to his attention in order to tailor a response.
  • Ed Kelly asked for potential legislative impacts on GIS and any indicators of legislative interest.
  • Are locals doing things that should be considered at the state level?

Initiative Ideas for GIS SG

GIS SG discussion of subcommittees for priority initiatives:

  • Setting up subcommittees to explore topics in greater detail.
  • Parcel Data Study. Possibility of a pilot study for parcel data making use of excess funds for AppGeo. By consensus GIS SG agreed to move forward with the study, a roadmap, and how it would be used on a statewide level.
  • Researching upcoming technologies and what is being done in the private sector.
  • Exploration of universal software standard for State of Texas.
  • GPS to GIS integration with regards to best practices
  • GIS viewer standards.
  • Technology Roadmap for GIS and imagery to set direction for the state.

Discussion Items:

  • Brian Lane is the new IRM/CIO for TDEM. Ed Kelly recommended a meeting for further explanation of imagery program.

Next Meeting • September 20, 2016, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.