Notes: December 2016 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting
Date: December 13, 2016 ● 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Location: DIR Conference Room # 4 (Congress Conference Room)
Meeting Chair: Richard Wade, TWDB/TNRIS
Participants: Ed Kelly, DIR Co-chair; Monica Watt, Sue Seet, Vonda Payne CSEC; Raj Nadkarni, TCEQ; Michael
Chamberlain, TXDOT; Scot Friedman, GLO; Susan Seet, CSEC; Greg Smithhart, TCEQ; Felicia Retiz, TWDB; Gayla Mullins, TWDB;
Other Attendees: Brooks Myers, Michael Kersey, DIR
January 12, 2017 CANCELLED
Welcome and Introductions
- Welcomed all.
- Round the room introductions
Contract Status Update (Tere Shade and Richard Wade)-
Tere Shade presented new procing model.
- Richard Wade, the model is changing that we will no longer being doin buy-ups, we will be getting imagery as soon as it’s
available. Google has come up with a new model that for $900K / year, you will have rights to anything that’s flown. Older
data will be available with long term storage costs. Google wants people to move this model.
- Shortfall of $54,000 to move do new model. UPDATE: New shortfall calculations are $23k
- Possibility of making up $30 k with a flight.
- Lookin for agencies to make up additional $24,000.
- Do not need immediate answer.
- DIR plans to issue a PO this month (December 2016), will appear on agency invoice for January which is issued in February.
- GIS SG members asked for a summary of the issue before requesting funds.
- Will initially look for funds within DCS Data Center Services.
- Tere Shade sent everyone on distribution a copy of the proposed contract update.
Parcel Study Update (Jennifer Sylvester)
- In progress:
- Stakeholder survey as to use cases and value
- Statewide survey is live. Right at half of districts responding.
- Research and analysis of other states : NC, MT,MA, VT, TN, AR.
- Next step is to look at the data in depth
Google Imagery Service and AppGeo Application Update
(Kara and Kyle)
- App Geo working with Google to address new tile API. It’s ready, but it still says development use only.
- Richard Wade: Does anyone have any objections to the change in format from individual buy-ups to one price for all at an
annual rate of $900k? No objections. The GIS SG approved the revised model.
- Kyle briefed on recent and upcoming flights.
- Waxahachie and Pecos for repairs (dated for 2015)
- Nacadoches, Comstock, Rosenfeld, San Antonio, Dallas, Midland, Waxahachie, San Antonio flights.
- Also Eagle Peak flight
- Guymon, OK.
- Boyce City, OK
- Clovis, NM
- These have already passed QAQC
- This is part of the new delivery model to get information more quickly.
- Kyle also reviewed upcoming flights including Tijuana. They aren’t in Google maps yet, but are in QAQC.
- Beautiful weather currently. Lots of flights now through early spring. Good lighting with low clouds
Texas Imagery Services Marketing Campaign
- Letting people know that imagery services go away as of 9/1/2017 unless paying.
- How to market to people and entities to use this service?
- Dallas and Houston already spending on imagery.
- Advantages of no storage costs for 3 years of data.
- Fixed cost without re-bidding.
- Get testimony from regional entities. Local to local, rather than state to local.
- Testamonials for presentation to metros.
- Gather 911 COGS to present to other such as Homeland security.
- COGS meet regularly. CSEC could provide contacts for Texas Alliance. May want to get on agenda.
- Participate in an existing work shop.
- Go after the association of counties (Bruce) for a full scale press.
- Go after Texas Association of Regional Councils (TARC) homeland and TxDPS and 911 meetings. ED of TARC is Jenny Lewis.
- New product that would benefit these planning commissions.
- TARC only meets in September and February.
- Talking points; low costs, ease of access, ease of budget, predictability.
- Possibly create a new web-site that highlights the benefits to local entities
- White paper
- Calendar of upcoming events where we can sell imagery services.
- Removeing the word “pilot” from the project.
- Richard Wade: Also wanted to let people know that TWDB is interested in reactivating the Strat Map account to be able to use
funds for mapping services beyond Google Imagery. The vision is that this becomes an investment in the future of Texas data.
Next Meeting Agenda Topics
- Richard Wade let people know that the TNRIS GIS report was released to the governor on 12/1/2016. He acknowledged the
efforts for Rob Aanstoos and Felica Retiz.
- Now the hard work of implementing the recommendations begins. GIS SG will be key to making them happen.
Next meeting date: ~~1/12/2017, 2:30 – 4:00 pm
Rescheduled to 02/07/2017, 2:30-4:00 p.m.