Notes: March 2018 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Notes: March 2018 DCS GIS Solutions Group Meeting

Date: March 27, 2018 ● 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm

Location: DIR Congress Conference Room, #4, W. P. Clements Building, 13th floor

Meeting Chair: Richard Wade, TWDB/TNRIS

Participants: Raj Nadkarni, TCEQ; Scot Friedman, GLO; Monica Watt, CSEC; Vonda Payne, CSEC; Felicia Retiz, TWDB/TNRIS; Gayla Mullins, TWDB/TNRIS; Chris Bardash – TxDOT; Jeremy Nobles, TPWD; Paul Buschow, TCEQ; Jenn Sylvester, Jessica Chen - AppGeo

Welcome and Introductions

3D Nation Study Announcement - Richard Wade

TNRIS has accepted the charge to get Texas participants to the survey, state agencies first and then locals. o GIS Meeting attendees will be brought forward as survey participants. o Need at least ~10 names to declare for participation. Want to know what criteria is expected, how the different agencies will use it. 33-38% of Lidar data for Texas has been cost shared by federal grant money. A workshop for more information as a webinar on the 16th. Help will be provided as information is needed. Survey will be available on April 23rd for participants to address.

Google Cloud Platform Storage - Jenn Sylvester

Data migration has started, a Ticket will be put in with Google once final. o We have a process with speeding things up for control and run parallel, just needed to know on Google side. Estimation on first migration is predicted to be a month. Years 2011 and 2012 will be done in a few days.

Pricing Structure Discussion - Scot Friedman, Gayla Mullins

Estimates were sent out to all participants for FY19. Annual cost is projected to double for some agencies. o Annual estimate put to the assigned participating agencies. o Current tier model was used. o Received feedback, and agencies needed to know sooner. This year we didn’t wait as long but we were subject to using available metrics from Aug 1 – Feb 28. Group discussed scenarios: o Keeping state agencies in the current tiered model to cover the bulk of the cost; o “Finetune” the tiers, for example use 10 instead of 5 tiers; o Leave state tier structure and set local and regional cost at a single, no restricted rate; o Concluded that averaging should be at the beginning of the biennium. Group discussed how scenarios may affect budget and throttling usage among the agencies. Need to know 2 things from DCS: Is there a way we can use the current costs for the 2-year biennium?
Need to have a feel of flexibility for a next meeting, know the trending and will revisit. Terry Shade will review the ideas o Get estimates from Google/AppGeo for the next biennium. o Estimate agency costs for a biennium instead of annually. This will coincide with budget cycles and save the agencies from coming up with additional funds if usage exceeds current tier. o Averaging should start the beginning of the biennium. Have a representative from Google for the next meeting to attend and discuss.

Lidar Classification Initiative - Monica Watt

Complete data set to be approached same as Google imagery o Provide the Z factor for 911 calls. Lidar data coming from FEMA is only classified for ground. Texas will need to come up with funding to classify FEMA Lidar for the building class. Estimated cost for classifying FEMA Lidar – $2.1 million FEMA coverage accounts for about 50% of the state, Felicia will send out slides to show coverage. New coverage areas are expected to be delivered within the next two years or less.

General Discussion Topics

• Next meeting – Tuesday, May 1, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m